Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Disney Star Wars - The Special Edition

     Since I'm celebrating the tenth anniversary of this little blog, I thought it would be fun to revisit some of my favorite posts from the past decade, and on that list of favorites would definitely be my Disney Star Wars mashups!


     In 2010, my wife and I went to Walt Disney World. While there, I noticed several action figures of Disney characters dressed as Star Wars characters. I eat this type of stuff up, but what bothered me with this lineup was how few of the Disney characters were being used OR what Star Wars characters they were cast as. There was no Artoo! Donald Duck was both Han Solo and a Stormtrooper! Um.. okay. But the biggest of the what-the-what's... Goofy was Chewbacca, Threepio, AND Darth Vader!!! I mean, REALLY?!? You expect me to believe that the pickings are so slim at THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY that Goofy has to pull a Nutty Professor and play three distinctively different characters from the main Star Wars lineup?!? How were kids supposed to play with these? Was this a reference to those old shorts where literally everyone was a Goofy?! I lose sleep over this stuff!

Seriously though, an All-Goofy Star Wars would be epic.
     Fortunately for... me, ...I guess... I'm a nerd with time on my hands. I went home, pulled out my trusty spiral, made an extensive list of what Disney character would play who from the original Star Wars trilogy, and got to work bringing said list "to life." A few months after I posted these mashups, I received quite the surprise!


     For the first time, my blog was flooded with comments! People were sharing my work all over the internet! A couple of different websites reached out to me for interviews! I didn't have anything interesting to say because it's just Mickey Mouse fan art, but still! One complete stranger even had my Pluto Artoo tattooed on himself! And on an appropriate part of his body! It was a great .5 seconds of "fame" that changed my life in no way whatsoever and I'm glad it happened.

     In the spirit of Star Wars, I decided to take another stab at these characters, this time in the style of the Paul Rudish Mickey Mouse shorts which... side note, I absolutely love!









   
    Hopefully these will be as well received as the originals, and to all of you who were kind enough to make such a big deal of the originals... Thanks a TON!

No comments: