Friday, March 11, 2016

Quack-a-Rooney!


     The other day, we finally got our first look at the new DuckTales series premiering next year! Suffice it to say, I'm excited! Sure, it's just one little pic, but there's so much there! Scrooge and Donald are in their comic book color schemes! Louie's wearing long-sleeves while Dewey isn't! What's that all about?! Is that Webby? I don't even know, but I'm giddy!

     But more on all of that in a bit. First off, I thought I'd roll out some more Disney Afternoon characters. Here we have the heroic trio from the aforementioned DuckTales - Hubert, Deuteronomy, and Louis... aka Huey, Dewey, and Louie!

Huey

Dewey

Louie

     In the comics, the nephew's occasionally had female counterparts named April, May, and June. Cute, right? Well, DuckTales conveniently consolidated these three into one in the form of the toothache inducing adorable Webbigail Vanderquack!

Webbigail

     Now I don't know what the Junior Woodchuck Guidebook has to say on the subject of television reboots, but in my opinion, the main thing they need to be is different. Sure, it should strive for the same overall feel as the original, but for the most part it needs to be it's own thing. For years now, fans have been wanting a new DuckTales, but what boggles my mind is that once one was announced, most of the fan reaction (that I read, at least) was negative! "They better not screw things up!" "It better not be stupid CGI!" I couldn't understand it. Why weren't they as glad as I was? Disney's finally giving us what we've been wanting for so long and all these naysayers can to do is look in this gift horse's mouth! Then it was announced that the new DuckTales wouldn't feature the same voice cast and the Superdoo really hit the fan!

    It occurred to me that what these people wanted wasn't a NEW DuckTales but the EXACT SAME DuckTales! And why not? The original was great! But unless someone invents a real-life Time Tub, we'll never be able to go back and watch the exact same series again for the first time. What we can do is be optimistic that this new show will be good and thus enjoy it for the first time. Different doesn't necessarily mean bad, you know? I, for one, like the most recent reboot of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and the new Mickey Mouse shorts are terrific! Change is rough for everybody, but with these types of things, it's been proving more and more to be pretty awesome.

     If we as fans want there to be more of these nostalgia revamps (and I DO!!) then we need to put the negativity in check and approach things with a more open mind. And if you don't like the new DuckTales, then just enjoy the old! Almost every episode exists on DVD! 

So you see? Everybody wins ...especially Disney!

No comments: