Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Chamber of Secrets - The Basilisk

So apparently, a long time ago in the world of Harry Potter, some guy decided to make a frog sit on a chicken egg until it hatched, and the result was this snarly horrific beast that can kill anything just by looking at it. Sure, why not? I guess that makes sense.


In the Harry Potter books, the Basilisk is pretty much just a giant snake, but in some versions of folklore  and mythology, it's a weird hybrid of a snake and a rooster. I wanted to work in a small amount of rooster in my basilisk, which is why it has the beak and the red plume sort-of-thing.

This was my favorite from these Chamber of Secrets characters to draw so far. Most of my drawings tend to be your typical person of some sort with a pair of arms and legs. It was nice breaking away from that, even if it was for this hideous thing.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just stumbled across your blog. I haven't read everything yet, but I like how you're taking characters we know and re-inventing them in your own artistic style. Nice.

Word ver - vestater? Seriously?

Unknown said...

Love it! It's like a cross between Foghorn Leghorn and Kaa (from "Jungle Book"). Really enjoy your take on all these characters--thanks for sharing!