Thursday, October 28, 2021

Rebooting Ruxpin: The Wooly Whats-It

     It's been a while since I've visited my rebooted world of Grundo, but I'm back! One of the most difficult characters in this series of redesigns has been Teddy's big furry friend, the Wooly Whats-It, or... as he's more affectionately known... Wooly.

     This guy has always been one of my favorites, so maybe that's why I had such a hard time coming up with a new look that I'm happy with. As you can see below, I've given the task several attempts.

     Then one day, I thought I'd finally found a winner! I scanned him in, cleaned him up, and even used some artistic techniques that I hadn't ever really tried before. As I looked at the finished product however... it just didn't look like Wooly to me. It was close though.

     I decided to take a break from Wooly after that. I was definitely overthinking it. He needed to be simpler. Fast forward a couple of years and simpler is exactly the direction I went. I just started doodling crude shapes and putting eyes on them in hopes that I would find my Wooly Whats-It.

And BINGO! I've got it!

     He's big. He's purple. He's fluffy. His hands and feet don't have those nasty spots on them like they did in the animated series, AND he's lovable! I love him at least.

...

Well hold on...

...

Now I'm not so sure.

No comments: